Illustrated by Lisa Allen.
Cheeky Dragon is a partnership between author Rose Stanley and illustrator Lisa Allen. Together they have come up with Brain Tricks.
A light and quirky book about a not-so-light subject: emotional pain and what we can do with it. It encourages children to learn about and manage pain differently when they understand how incredible their brains are at adapting to new experiences.
- The words & illustrations provide a wonderful synergy, combining an appealing playfulness with the reality of emotional pain and hurt.
- Empowers children by normalising and identifying the unhelpful yet common ways we try to avoid our painful emotions.
- Written in a quirky style that opens up opportunity for children to begin a conversation with an adult about healthy ways to cope with more challenging emotions such as anger, worry and disappointment.
- Developed with the assistance of professionals who work with children in education, counselling and social work, this book draws on the basic principles of Cognitive Behaviour Therapy. CBT is widely used as an effective treatment for children in the areas of anxiety, depression and ADHD.
- Laid out in an uncluttered format in order to aid children who have sensory processing sensitivities.
Free resources are available on the Cheeky Dragon website – colouring, worksheets and lesson plans for parents and educators to use alongside Brain Tricks.
Read an article Rose wrote for Tots to Teens magazine called “Brain tricks for kids with anxiety“.
Read another review of Brain Tricks in Psychology Today by Dr Susan Biali Haas.
Meet Kiwi author Rose Stanley
Rose Stanley has previously worked in New Zealand schools for many years providing pastoral care for students experiencing challenges, both emotionally and socially. She is a trained companion for the ‘Seasons for Growth’ programme which provides education for students on ways to deal with grief, change and loss. Rose writes books on emotional literacy and problem solving for children.
Rose offers free downloadable activity sheets for her book Emotions in Motion on her website for teachers, counsellors and social workers to use.
Rose works with illustrator and book designer Lisa Allen in a partnership called Cheeky Dragon. Visit their website and check out the ‘Free Stuff’ page for colouring and activity sheets, and lesson plans which relate to their book Brain Tricks.
Lisa Allen is an illustrator and book designer based in Muriwai on Auckland’s west coast. Her work is based mainly around children’s books. She has a variety of distinctly different illustration styles across a range of media.
Find out more about Rose and how to contact her on her author profile.