Ngā Āhua includes:
- Repetitive sentence structure: “He ….. t(ōku) …” (My … make a ….)
- Vocabulary for shapes and body parts.
- Singalong CD which turns the book into a catchy song
- English translation
- List of activity ideas to make this much more than a fun book to do on the mat!
- Glossary of shapes used in the book
- Guitar chords
Curriculum Links for Ngā Āhua:
Tikanga: Through te reo Māori children’s identity, belonging and wellbeing are enhanced.
Learning intention: Express feelings and ideas using a wide range of materials and modes.
Te Whāriki: Links to Strand 4, goal 4: discover different ways to be creative and expressive.
Te Aho Arataki Marau: Links to 2.5: communicate about physical characteristics, personality, and feelings.”
Author – Sharon Holt
Illustrator – Joshua David Morgan
Sharon Holt is a children’s author and creator of books and resources in te reo Māori.
Several of her books have won or been shortlisted for awards, and her Te Reo Singalong series won its category in both Ngā Tohu Reo Māori / Māori Language Awards in 2013 and the CLNZ Educational Publishing Awards in 2015.
Find out more about Sharon and the Te Reo Singalong series on Sharon’s author page.