Te Taiao includes:
- Repetitive sentence structure: “Kātahi ka … mātou i te …” (Then we … in the …)
- Vocabulary for playing in the natural world
- Singalong CD which turns the book into a beautiful song
- English translation
- List of activity ideas to make this much more than a fun book to do on the mat!
- Background information about Matapihi Kindergarten’s Uru Taiao programme.
- Guitar chords
Curriculum Links for Te Taiao:
Tikanga: Children express their respect for the natural world in terms of respect for Papatūānuku, Ranginui and atua Māori. Kaitiakitanga is integral to this.
Learning intention: Learn through active exploration of the environment.
Te Whāriki: Links to Strand 5, Goal 1: the importance of spontaneous play is recognised.
Te Aho Arataki Marau: Links to 3.5: communicate about immediate past activities.
Author – Sharon Holt
Photographer – Rachael Marian Hale McKenna
Sharon Holt is a children’s author and creator of books and resources in te reo Māori.
Several of her books have won or been shortlisted for awards, and her Te Reo Singalong series won its category in both Ngā Tohu Reo Māori / Māori Language Awards in 2013 and the CLNZ Educational Publishing Awards in 2015.
Find out more about Sharon and the Te Reo Singalong series on Sharon’s author page.