Te Taiao includes:
- Repetitive sentence structure: “Kātahi ka … mātou i te …” (Then we … in the …)
- Vocabulary for playing in the natural world
- Singalong CD which turns the book into a beautiful song
- English translation
- List of activity ideas to make this much more than a fun book to do on the mat!
- Background information about Matapihi Kindergarten’s Uru Taiao programme.
- Guitar chords
Curriculum Links for Te Taiao:
Tikanga: Children express their respect for the natural world in terms of respect for Papatūānuku, Ranginui and atua Māori. Kaitiakitanga is integral to this.
Learning intention: Learn through active exploration of the environment.
Te Whāriki: Links to Strand 5, Goal 1: the importance of spontaneous play is recognised.
Te Aho Arataki Marau: Links to 3.5: communicate about immediate past activities.
Kiwi author Sharon Holt
Find out more about Sharon and the Te Reo Singalong series on Sharon’s author page.